Installing qmail and vpopmail
My mail server runs
qmail. This is the first of a multipart series showing how I went about installing
vpopmail for virtual domain support.
It also manages email for those domains. Unfortunately, the email system is not set up to allow virtual hosting. This means that any email to (e.g.) email@example.com gets delivered to the same place as firstname.lastname@example.org. Now, this might not be a problem if the user accounts referred to the same person. Even here, fred might want to keep the two accounts separate.
peculiar is running qmail to handle email. Since it’s running my “production” email, I’m going to install a test box to try all of this out on.
This is what I want out of the mail server when I’m finished:
- Separate virtual domains, so that email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org are delivered to different mailboxes.
- POP3 support, so that my girlfriend can download her email to the desktop PC.
- SMTP AUTH support, so that I can send mail from my laptop from anywhere.
- IMAP support, so that I can access my mail from my laptop anywhere.
- Forwarding. A couple of user accounts on this box are forwarded elsewhere. This must continue to work.
- Mailing lists (using ezmlm).
- Webmail, so that I can access my mail without my laptop from anywhere.
- Virus/spam filtering.
The test box
peculiar is currently handling my “production” email, I don’t want to accidentally break it while trying out all of this new stuff, so I’m going to set it up on a test box.
For this, I’ve dug up my girlfriend’s old PC (a Pentium-200), which should be adequate for this test system. On it, I’ve installed Debian GNU/Linux v3.0 (woody), which is the same version as running on
peculiar. The machine is called
- Installing qmail and vpopmail (this post; 11 Mar 2004 09:24)
- Removing exim and installing qmail (11 Mar 2004 09:26)
- Installing SMTP AUTH with qmail (11 Mar 2004 09:28)
- Installing vpopmail (11 Mar 2004 09:33)
- Installing BincIMAP (11 Mar 2004 09:35)
- Using qmail extension addresses with vpopmail (11 Mar 2004 10:53)
- Forwarding addresses to another account using vpopmail (11 Mar 2004 11:03)
- Installing ezmlm with vpopmail (11 Mar 2004 12:17)
- Installing SquirrelMail (11 Mar 2004 14:22)
- Installing ClamAV and Qmail-Scanner (12 Mar 2004 16:30)
- Securing SquirrelMail using HTTPS (18 Mar 2004 15:19)
- Securing IMAP (23 Mar 2004 11:39)
- Using SMTP-TLS with qmail (24 Mar 2004 14:12)
- Installing qmailadmin (24 Mar 2004 18:41)